Below, you'll find a complete breakdown of the 2005 Holiday Bowl, including team analysis, ticket-buying options, San Diego accomodation and travel tips and an in-depth look at the gameday match-up.
The Holiday Bowl, sponsored by Pacific Life, is played on December 29th, 2005 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego California. Considered a top bowl destination outside of the BCS bowls, the Holiday Bowl matches up the #2 Pac-10 team against the #3 Big 12 team.
Initially conceived to feature the WAC Champion against a nationally ranked opponent, the Holiday Bowl came to the current agreement in 1995. 2004's match-up between Texas Tech and Cal was one of the better games of the bowl season, coming down to the wire in an upset Red Raiders victory over the Golden Bears.
Qualcomm Stadium has been around since the late 1960's (when it was San Diego Stadium) but was extensively expanded in 1984 and again in 1997, when it was renamed Qualcomm. It seats just over 70,000 and includes over 100 suites, 4 lounges, 3 restaurants and 2 state of the art video screens.
The stadium is located in the heart of San Diego, easily accessible from any of four freeways: 805, 163, 15 and 8. Here are driving directions for each possible entry detailed by the Holiday Bowl's website:
- From the north:
* On I-5: Turn east on I-8, exit north on Qualcomm Way and turn east on Friars Road to the stadium entrance.
* On I-15: Exit west on Friars Road and be prepared to turn left into the western-most stadium parking lot.
- From the south:
* On Route 163: Exit at Friars Road and head east to the first stadium parking lot entrance.
* On I-5 or 805: Turn east on I-8, exit north on Qualcomm Way and turn east on Friars Road to the stadium entrance.
- From the east:
* On I-8: Exit at Mission Gorge off-ramp, turn north on Mission Gorge, then west on San Diego Mission Road to the stadium entrance.
- From the west:
* On I-8: Exit north on Qualcomm Way and turn east on Friars Road to the stadium entrance.
Parking fills up quickly and costs $10 for cars, $16 for vehicles over 20 feet long.
Tickets are selling fast, and the game is expected to be a sell-out. Oklahoma Sooners fans may be able to purchase tickets from the OU online ticket office or from Ticketmaster.
Prices range from $58-70 for single tickets.