Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, OK 73072
In 1889, the Territorial Legislature commissioned what was then known as the University of the Territory of Oklahoma in Norman to create the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History on its campus. Operated by the University of Oklahoma
, the museum flourished. On May 1, 2000, the museum opened a beautiful 195,000 square foot facility, welcoming its visitors to explore the cultural and natural history of this great state.
Today, the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History features 7 galleries, interactive displays and fossils from Oklahoma and around the world. It boasts over 6 million items in twelve collection divisions and is one of the world's largest university-based natural history museums. See pictures of the museum
in an extensive image gallery.
Location & Directions:
The Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History is located at 2401 Chautauqua Avenue in Norman on the campus of the University of Oklahoma. Take I-35 South to Highway 9 East. Go to Chautauqua Avenue and turn North.
Admission & Hours of Operation:
The museum is open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door or by calling (405) 325-4712. Admission prices are as follows:
- Adults - $5
- Seniors (65 and older) - $4
- Children (6-17) - $3
- Children 5 and under - Free
- University of Oklahoma students - Free
- Ancient Life - Explores millions of years of plants and animals
- Natural Wonders - Investigates eco-regions of Oklahoma
- People of Oklahoma - Spans 30,000 years of Native American history and includes authentic artifacts
- World Cultures - Keep in touch with other cultures such as ancient Greece or Tibet
- Discovery Room - A hands-on experience for everyone. *Hours differ from regular museum hours
- Paleozoic Gallery - Explore the formation of the Earth
- Special Exhibitions - Check for special exhibitions such as SuperCroc, featuring a real SuperCroc skull fossil and many full scale models.
There are many special programs to choose from at SNOMNH. The museum offers lectures, presentations, adult field trips, family nights out, children's programs and adult workshops. There are special nights for members only, Girl Scout activities, and Spike's Club for kids to join in the science fun. Visit the official site
for more details on all the special programs.
School field trips are available Tuesday-Friday 9:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Children grades 1-12 are $1.75
- Pre-K and Kindergarten are free
- Adult chaperones are $4, but schools are allowed one free chaperone for every 5 children.
Payments must be made upon arrival by PO, school check, credit card, or cash. A $25 cancellation fee will be charged if a group does not cancel at least 2 business days in advance. For reservations call (405) 325-4712.
Become a Member:
As a Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History Member, you are given a complimentary newsletter, free admission to the museum as well as discounts on educational programs and at the museum store. In addition, members receive invitations to exclusive members-only events.
Membership costs are annual and vary depending on level. Get level descriptions
- Senior - $20
- Individual - $30
- Senior Couple - $30
- OU Faculty/Staff - $35
- Family/Dual - $45
- Contributor - $100
- Supporter - $250
- Curator's Circle - $500
- Director's Circle - $1,000