One of Oklahoma City's top places for kids and families is the educational fun at Orr Family Farm. Go fishing, ride the train, pet the animals, ride the carousel, play on the playground, sample the jams and jellies or ride the pedal carts on the Orr Grand Prix. For birthday parties, holiday events or just for a family night, this one is a treat.
The Orrs have owned the farm for many years and use half of it for the "agri-educational" family business. Their stated mission is to "offer educational insight into Oklahoma's agricultural history and heritage, while also building from the ground up a unique attraction that would provide pure enjoyment for all ages"
Hours of Operation:
The Orr Family Farm is open from April 3 through December 18, and spring hours are Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Parties, field trips and other functions are by reservation, and there are special holiday hours as well.
Located near Moore, south of Oklahoma City, the Orr Family Farm's address is: 14400 S. Western. Take I-35 to Moore and go west from exit 116 for about 2 miles, turning right onto Western. After one half mile, you can't miss the sign.
Public admission is $10.50 per person. Children 2 and under are free.
Birthday party packages are available at $179 that include the birthday child and 10 friends. All adults are free. The child receives a 2 hour party with many extras including train ride, carousel ride, birthday cake and punch, t-shirt and much more.
There are other party packages available as well for $199. A $50 deposit is required at booking. Check the official site for full details on available party packages.
In addition to parties and family outings, the Orr Family Farm is great for school field trips. There are structured trips Tuesdays through Fridays from 9:30-11:30am and 11:30am-1:30pm, but reservations must be made in advance.
Kids will get to make and eat butter, pet the barnyard animals, ride the train and more.
To See and Do:
Here are just a few of the things you can see and do at Orr Family Farm:
- On March 15, 2011, the Orr Family Farm added the only Multi-Lane Zip Line in Oklahoma. The four-lane zip line has a starting deck at 20 feet high and allows riders to race each other at speeds as high as 25 miles per hour.
- A third-sized replica of an early U.S. locomotive, the Jupiter Train holds 100. The ride is one mile and takes 20 minutes as passengers enjoy the view of Hidden Lake and the Wedding Garden.
- Orr Family Farm's Animal Barn has Tuesday the llama, Thumper the lamb, Sara the goat and many more. Guests can milk the cow or purchase feed for just 25 cents.
- The Maze is 4,900 square feet of winding, challenging fun. Collect the four letter stamps as you try to maneuver through.
- Although the entire place is unique fun, one of the most interesting might be the Neal Simpson Mine. Purchase bags of "rough" and learn about stones as you search for hidden treasures.
- The Wedding Garden has bronze fountains and a huge, white gazebo for your outside wedding. There are dressing rooms, private bathroom, reception room and a beautiful limousine for transport.
- In addition to all of that, the Orr Family Farm holds a number of Seasonal and Holiday Events. Check out the pumpkin decorating contest or hayrides for Halloween. Definitely see the Christmas lights and meet Santa at the barn. Mother's Day, Father's Day or July 4th weekend, there's something going on at Orr Family Farm.