First, you need to make sure you understand the meaning of a tornado siren in your area.
Also, know that a tornado watch indicates conditions are favorable for the formation of severe storms while a tornado warning means one is developing or is actually on the ground.
If you learn that you're in a tornado warning while driving, here are some important tips from AAA Oklahoma:
- Leave your vehicle immediately.
- Never try to outrun a tornado.
- Your car or pickup will offer no protection from a tornado. In fact, you are safer outside.
- Find a ditch, ravine or low-lying area, and lie as flat as you can.
- Stay away from overpasses.
- Do not seek shelter in a mobile home. Like a car, they offer little protection.