When you think about it, it's sad they only get one day of the year devoted to them because they deserve so much more. Celebrate your moms by doing something special for her on Mother's Day in Oklahoma City. Here are ideas on how to make it the perfect holiday for Mom, from gift ideas to food and fun.
The first thought for most on Mother's Day is finding the perfect gift, something special that will capture our appreciation in the same way those handmade and misshapen clay bowls from elementary school used to. Since most of our moms would look at us funny if we tried that again, gift-buying is the best answer. In fact, for those that may not get to see their mothers for the holiday, it might be the only answer.
Get the Perfect Gift for MomThere are few better places to turn for great gift ideas than About.com Guide to Collectibles and OKC resident Barbara Crews.
Other Mother's Day gift ideas include flowers/gift baskets, a Made in Oklahoma gifts, other edible gifts or a scrapbook from Creative Memories or Just 4 Keeps in Edmond.
And if you're still searching for ideas, take a visit to some of these shopping destinations in Oklahoma City with gifts moms love:
- Bath & Body Works: Four metro area locations
- Yankee Candle Company: Two metro locations
- Russell Stover Candies: Two metro locations
- Crabtree & Evelyn: Penn Square Mall
- Gift Shops on Western Avenue
- The Mango Tree
- The Bricktown Candy Company
Let Mom be PamperedPerhaps an even better idea than buying your mom a gift is to give her the opportunity to be pampered for Mother's Day, something most moms don't get enough of. Take her to a day spa in Oklahoma City for a massage or other body treatment. Here are just a few of the better ones in the metro:
Eden Salon & Spa
Three metro locations
- Grapevine Day Spa
11032 Quail Creek Rd.
Le Fringe Salon & Spa
10 NE 10th
Renaissance Salon & Spa
10440 N. Broadway Extension
- The Spa at 10 North
Renaissance Hotel / 10 North Broadway
- Vo Spa Elegance
13417 N. Penn
Take Mom Out to EatGifts are great, but I suspect if you asked most moms, they'd much rather spend time with their kids than get a gift for Mother's Day. So why not take your mom out to eat in Oklahoma City. Dinner is always a good choice, of course, and any OKC favorite could work. Mom might even find a more intimate dining experience in the metro perfect for catching up with her children in a nice, quiet atmosphere.
Fondue restaurant The Melting Pot in Bricktown has Mother's Day specials with gifts for Mom. Call (405) 235-1000 for a reservation.
But if dining out is something you do frequently, a good suggestion for variety might be to try brunch. Here are some of the better options for brunch in Oklahoma City:
5124 Classen Circle
La Baguette Bistro
7408 N. May Ave.
415 Couch Drive
Sophabella's Chicago Grill
7628 N. May Avenue
Explore Oklahoma City with MomAfter brunch, continue spending time with Mom by taking her out to explore the Oklahoma City metro. She'll undoubtedly love any of the following...
- Take a water taxi ride on the Bricktown canal.
- Visit the Oklahoma City Zoo, where moms typically receive free Mother's Day admission.
- Soak in the offerings of the Oklahoma City Museum of Art.
- Enjoy free admission for mothers on Saturday, May 10th at the Orr Family Farm.
- Revisiting the educational fun at Science Museum Oklahoma could bring back great memories for the moms.
- Check out the beautiful Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge downtown.
- And the Paseo Arts District has working galleries with many artistic forms.
Make Mother's Day an Event in OKCMother's Day is, of course, held on the 2nd Sunday in May, and the month holds a couple of favorite annual events in the Oklahoma City metro area that Mom might enjoy.
- The Downtown Edmond Arts Festival is typically held the first weekend of May.
- The Oklahoma City Philharmonic often concludes their season in mid-May.
- The Edmond Jazz & Blues Festival is typically held toward the end of the month.
- The Civic Center Music Hall may have a Broadway show from Celebrity Attractions.
- Or catch a RedHawks game at the beautiful Bricktown Ballpark.