Located in uptown/midtown Oklahoma City, the Plaza District is yet another of the many rejuvenated areas of the metro, a region that has become a top commercial and cultural destination. Long known primarily for the historic Plaza Theatre, the first air-conditioned theater in the state when it opened in 1935 with backing from Paramount Studios, the area later languished along with many others in Oklahoma City. The theater closed in 1979, and the Plaza District went through some difficult times.
That changed in the 1990's when neighborhood business-owners, residents and volunteers began to revitalize and redevelop the Plaza District. The Plaza Theatre was extensively renovated, now serving as the home to the Lyric Theatre company, and the neighborhood was reborn with art galleries, studios, retail shops, restaurants and more.
Location & Directions:
The Plaza district is located on the 1700 block of NW 16th, between Classen and Penn, just northwest of MidTown Oklahoma City.
Galleries, Shops & Services:
There are several galleries and commercial establishments within the small Plaza District, representing quite a diversity of culture and interest. For example, there are vendors with retro or "modern hip" goods, boutiques with handmade wares, galleries featuring Oklahoma artists, the Velvet Monkey Salon, No Regrets Tattoo Parlor, the Everything Goes Dance Studio, a photo studio and other clothing and gift shops.
For a complete list of shops and services, see the Plaza District's Official Site.
Restaurants & Clubs:
In addition to the galleries and shops, visit the Plaza District for unique food and drink. Top restaurant and club choices include:
- Gourmet hot melts and beer at The Mule
- Irish pub style cuisine and bar at Saints Lounge
- Oklahoma winery Urban Wineworks
- Pie Junkie
- Pizza at Empire Slice House
Plaza District Events & Specials:
From an annual art festival to a monthly event and more, here are the regular happenings in Oklahoma City's Plaza District:
- Plaza District Festival - Held annually in October, the Plaza District Festival is a free event for local art lovers that features performance and visual art, live music and art education.
- LIVE On the Plaza - Monthly artwalk event which promotes emerging artistic talent in Oklahoma City. See upcoming LIVE On the Plaza dates/details.
- Plaza Sunday - Each first Sunday in the Plaza District, enjoy live music, sidewalk chalk games for the kids, store specials and more.
Nearby Hotels and Lodging:
Coming into town to visit the Plaza District? Here are some nearby hotels:
- The Colcord Hotel
15 North Robinson
- The Skirvin Hotel
One Park Avenue
- Sheraton Hotel
One North Broadway
- Renaissance Hotel
Ten North Broadway
- Courtyard Downtown
2 West Reno
- Hampton Inn & Suites
300 East Sheridan
- The Grandison Inn at Maney Park Bed & Breakfast
1200 N. Shartel