Held each year in early spring and organized by the United Scottish Clans of Oklahoma, the Iron Thistle Scottish Heritage Festival in Yukon, Oklahoma is a family-oriented event that celebrates the centuries old Scottish tradition in which the skills of athletes, bagpipers, and dancers are tested and displayed. In addition, the two-day festival features stage re-enactments, food, music, dance, shopping, a children's play area and more.
2014 Date & Times:
The 8th annual Iron Thistle Scottish Heritage Festival will take place April 26-27. Event activities run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Location & Directions:
Kirkpatrick Family Farm in Yukon, Oklahoma is the festival site. It is located at Garth Brooks Boulevard and Vandament Avenue, one half mile north of the Interstate 40 exit 136. Parking is available at Yukon Middle School, directly north of the Kirkpatrick property, as well as at Yukon High School.
Daily gate charge admission is $5 per person. Kids under the age of 10 are admitted at no charge.
With over 50 athletes competing in sports sanctioned by the North American Scottish Games Association, the traditional medieval Highland Games include:
- Braemar Stone
- Open Stone
- Weight over Bar
- Caber Toss
- Sheaf Toss
- Weights for Distances
- Thistle Carry
Activities & More:
In addition to the games, the festival features a number of activities for the entire family:
- Children's play area with games and free rides on the Celtic Train
- Medieval merchandise such as kilts, scarves, cups made out of horns, figurines and wooden swords for sale
- Food vendors with authentic dishes such as Scotch eggs and scones
- Genealogy research available where visitors can learn about their Scottish ancestry
- Celtic crafts
- Medieval stage re-enactments
- Live dance and music of the bagpipe, fiddle, harp circles, Celtic bands and more (see specific entertainers below)
Scheduled entertainers for 2014 are:
Whether you'd like to participate as an athlete, advertiser, vendor or clan, registration materials for the Iron Thistle Festival are available online. See uscoscots.org for the particular form of interest and appropriate mailing address. Athletic entry fees are $25 while vendor space starts at $100.
Nearby Hotels & Lodging:
Coming in from out of town for the annual Iron Thistle Scottish Heritage Festival in Yukon? Here are some options for nearby accommodations.
- Hampton Inn (Official Host Hotel of the Festival)
1351 Canadian Court
- Holiday Inn Express
700 Shedeck Parkway
- Comfort Suites
11424 NW 4th Street
- Best Western
11440 W I-40 Service Road