Those planning to have a garage sale in The Village should know that the city has rules and regulations governing garage or yard sales, similar to those in the Oklahoma City limits. So before having a garage sale within the limits of The Village, begin with the understanding that you must have a license to do so. Also, you must report and pay sales tax on all merchandise sold.
LicensesGarage sale licenses in The Village currently cost $15 and can be obtained from the City Clerk's office, located at 2304 Manchester Drive, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
To receive a license, you must fill out an application form, available for download online, to specify name and the address/dates of the residential sale.
- Garage sales are limited to 2 consecutive days in length.
- Each household is limited to only 2 garage sales per year.
- Sales must be 3 months apart.
- If it rains or there are other inclement weather conditions, terminating the sale on the first day, the City Clerk can issue another license, good for a 30 day period following the initially scheduled dates.
- There are exemptions for charitable organizations. See the City Clerk for more information.
SignsOnce a license has been secured, the city of The Village allows residents to put up signs advertising the residential sale. However, there are specific requirements for those as well.
- No more than 2 signs are allowed to advertise the sale.
- One sign can be placed at the location of the sale.
- One sign, which must be purchased from the city, can be placed on a "major thoroughfare."
- Signs must be placed at least 12 feet from the curb.
- Signs can't be more than 3 feet by 3 feet in size.
- Garage sale signs are not allowed on utility poles or street signs.
- Signs must be removed within 12 hours after the sale.
Sales TaxAfter your garage sale, a sales tax report must be filed. Instructions and forms are available for download online. Contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission for questions, and note The Village tax ID is 55-27.
PenaltyFailure to comply with The Village ordinance governing garage sales by not having a license or violating any of the above regulations is punishable by a possible fine for each offense. In addition, if convicted, a person violating the ordinance may not be issued another permit for two years.
Current Garage SalesThe Village does not keep a map of current garage sale locations. Check newspaper classified ads and/or drive around the area to fine them. Also, get information on locating garage sales within the limits of nearby Oklahoma City.
ContactsFor further information regarding holding a garage sale in The Village and the license application, contact:
City of The Village
2304 Manchester Drive
The Village, OK 73120