Those planning to have a garage sale in the OKC metro area community of Norman should know that the city has rules and regulations governing garage or yard sales, similar to those in the Oklahoma City limits. So before having a garage sale within the limits of Norman, begin with the understanding that you must have a permit to do so or risk citation and fines.
PermitsNorman garage sale permits are $10 and can be obtained at the main City of Norman building, 201 W. Gray Street, Bldg. "A". Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can also get one at the the Norman Transcript Newspaper, located at 215 E. Comanche Street.
In addition to the permit fee, you must submit an application specifying the address and dates of the residential sale as well as your personal information and a signed statement saying all the garage sale goods are owned by the sellers and were not purchased for resale.
SignsGarage sale permit holders in Norman are also provided with a garage sale sign. By city ordinance, this is the only sign allowed. All other signs are illegal.
- Each household is limited to 2 garage sales per year.
- A permit is good only for the address listed and for as many as 3 consecutive days.
- If it rains, forcing you to cancel your garage sale, return the permit and sign to the city on the "earliest possible day during the following week." The city will issue a permit for another date at no additional charge.
- Signs should only be placed in front of the sale location.
- Garage sale rules and regulations do not apply to auctioneers or those participating in the city's annual city-wide garage sale (see below).
Failure to ComplyThe city of Norman municipal ordinance allows the city to punish any violation of the code regarding garage sales with a fine and/or imprisonment. According to the code, the fine won't be less than $50 nor more than $700 and imprisonment can't exceed 60 days.
Norman Citywide Garage SaleEach year, often in late summer, the city of Norman establishes one weekend as the official Norman Citywide Garage Sale. During this time, no permit is required as long as you register for the event. Interested parties can register online or by calling (405) 366-5396, and the registration deadline is typically noon on the Thursday before the event.
At 5 p.m. on the Thursday before the Norman Citywide Garage Sale, a list of participating addresses will be provided on the City of Norman website, at the Pioneer Library and at the Norman Police Department.
ContactsFor further information regarding holding a garage sale in Norman and the permit application, contact:
City of Norman
201-A West Gray
Norman, OK 73070