Those planning to have a garage sale in Del City should know that the city has rules and regulations governing garage or yard sales, similar to those in the Oklahoma City limits. So before having a garage sale within the limits of Del City, begin with the understanding that you must have a permit to do so or risk citation and even jail time.
PermitsDel City garage sale permits are $12 and can be obtained at City Hall, located at 3701 SE 15th Street, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. In addition to the permit fee, you must submit an application specifying the address and dates of the residential sale as well as your personal information.
- Each household is limited to 4 garage sales per year.
- A permit is good only for the address listed and for as many as 3 consecutive days.
- If it rains, one can apply for another permit at no additional charge, good for a 30 day period following the initially scheduled dates.
- Only goods owned by the applicant or other garage sale participants may be sold. Items purchased for the purpose of resale are not allowed.
- No more than 4 signs (issued by the city) can be used to advertise the sale, and at least one has to be placed in front of the sale location.
- Signs can't be posted more than 24 hours before the sale.
- Signs must be removed within 48 hours after the sale.
- Signs can not be placed on utility poles, trees, culverts or bridges or any other structure that is part of streets or roadways. They should only be placed "inside of the curb on the public easement of main and side streets, with the owner's consent."
- Signs must have dates of sale and permit number written in ink.
Failure to ComplyFailure to comply with Del City ordinance governing garage sales by not having a permit or violating any of the above regulations is punishable by a maximum fine of $750 and/or a maximum of 60 days in jail. In addition, a person that has a license revoked may not be issued another permit for two years.
Del City Citywide Garage SaleEach year, often in August or September, the city of Del City establishes one weekend as the official Del City Citywide Garage Sale. During this time, garage sale permits and signs are free from the city as long as you register for the event. Plus, participation does not count toward your maximum number of sales per year. Interested parties can register by calling the Del City City Hall at (405) 677-5741.
Typically on the Wednesday before the Del City Citywide Garage Sale, a list of participating addresses will be provided on the Del City website or at City Hall (see address below).
ContactsFor further information regarding holding a garage sale in Del City and the permit application, contact:
City of Del City
3701 SE 15th Street
Del City, OK 73115