The month of March is cruising right along, and with Spring Break coming to a close, the metro has several highlight events to offer. For example, the Oklahoma History Center presents a "Cowboy Round-up" family event on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kids are encouraged to dress as cowboys and cowgirls for activities such as rope making, branding, cowboy cooking, coloring and more. For more information, call (405) 522-5248.
Another good option for the kids is MetroFamily's 2nd Annual Kids Fest on Saturday at State Fair Park. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., there will be exhibitor booths, a petting zoo, live music, art activities, inflatables, door prizes and more. Admission is free for children age 18 & under. Adult admission is $5, but get a discount coupon online.
And elsewhere this weekend...
- Both Friday and Saturday, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic presents "Yesterday Once More : A Tribute to the Carpenters," featuring the songs such as "We've Only Just Begun," "Rainy Days and Mondays," "Close To You!" and more.
- State Fair Park also has a special event through Sunday that includes over 200 gardening, home improvement and decorating businesses from around the state... It's the OKC Home Show, featuring Chris Crary of "Top Chef: Texas." For ticket information, see homeshowokc.com.
- The OKC Theatre Company concludes the production of the Tracy Letts thriller "Bug" this weekend at the Civic Center Music Hall's Freede Little Theatre.
- In sports, the Thunder returns home Sunday for a 6 p.m. game against Portland.
- And the OKC Barons meet Houston Friday at the Cox Convention Center.
- In music, enjoy the sounds of The New Growth Quartet at the UCO Jazz Lab Saturday night.
- Head to The Blue Door for Charlie Sexton, Will Sexton and Bill Carter on Friday night.
- Or catch OKC hip-hop artist Jabee at the Conservatory on Saturday. It's the release of a new single titled "Stephanie" (Super Ugly) on special limited edition 7 inch vinyl.
- Finally among the highlights, check out the Junior Hospitality fundraiser "Chips for Charity" at Farmers Public Market on Saturday. A ticket includes $500 in gaming chips to use on the professional gaming tables, draft beer by Coop Ale Works and tastings by Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, Paseo Grill, Custino's Restaurant & Bar, Swadley's Catering, Catering Oklahoma, Irma's Burger Shack and Baked Cakes & Gourmet Desserts. See jhok.org for details.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter