As it's the weekend before Valentine's Day, many in OKC undoubtedly will be getting out for their holiday dates and activities. Rather than taking your significant other to one restaurant, how about a sampling of many? With proceeds going to benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Oklahoma, the 34th annual Taste of Oklahoma City takes place Saturday at the Cox Convention Center. A formal affair in which guests are asked to don cocktail attire, the event includes silent auctions, live music and dancing. Then of course there's the food. Among this year's list of participating restaurants are Nonna's, Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, Pearl's Crabtown and many more. Get detailed information on the event, including a full list of restaurants and ticket-purchasing details.
Elsewhere this weekend...
- On Saturday and Sunday, the Oklahoma City Ballet presents "Paris Rouge," a comedy of errors perfect for Valentine's season.
- Head to State Fair Park through Sunday for the always-popular "An Affair of the Heart," an arts and crafts show that fits the Valentine's Day state of mind.
- What goes better with Valentine's Day than chocolate? This weekend brings yet another chocolate festival... The Yukon Chocolate Festival will be held Saturday at Robertson Activity Center, an event in which more than 20 local businesses offer chocolate delights. For admission information, see cityofyukonok.gov.
- The world famous Harlem Globetrotters return to the Chesapeake Energy Arena on Saturday for games at 2 p.m and 7 p.m. Get venue & ticket information.
- On stage, Lyric at the Plaza's production of "Some Enchanted Evening" continues this weekend.
- And the Oklahoma City Theatre Company presents "Crimes of the Heart" at the Civic Center's City Space Theatre this weekend.
- In sports, the Thunder has a home game Friday night against the Phoenix Suns.
- The Barons meet Grand Rapids both Friday and Saturday at the Cox Center.
- Saturday brings the Frigid Five Miler at Edmond's Mitch Park, with a five mile run and one mile fun run. For registration information, call (405) 359-4630.
- And the OU men's basketball team faces Kansas at 3 p.m on Saturday in Norman.
- Science Museum Oklahoma opens a new exhibition this weekend entitled "Soundscapes." It includes the work of 11 established artists tasked with capturing the relationship between sculpture and sound.
- In music, catch Norman-native singer/songwriter Jacob Abello on Friday at Opolis.
- Or enjoy the music along with the shopping, art and more at the Plaza District's monthly LIVE on the Plaza event Friday.
- And finally among the highlights, the 19th Annual Mardi Gras Parade hits downtown Norman at 7 p.m. on Saturday. It includes fire dancers, jazz bands, artists, bright costumes, live music and more. Get more information at normanmardigrasparade.com
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter