It's the first weekend of February, and it brings the first 2013 production for Lyric Theatre at the Plaza. Opening Wednesday, January 30th and running through February 16th, "Some Enchanted Evening" features the music of Rodgers and Hammerstein, song favorites from some of the biggest musicals of all time, including "The Sound of Music" and "Oklahoma!". There are performances Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening, with tickets priced at $40. Get ticket purchasing information.
Elsewhere in OKC, there are a couple of other big stage events, as well as much more...
- On Saturday, the Oklahoma City Philharmonic presents "Motion & Emotion" with percussion soloist Colin Currie.
- The Oklahoma Children's Theatre continues its production of "Treasure Island" at Oklahoma City University this weekend.
- Carpenter Square Theatre wraps up the run of the drama "The Good Counselor" on Saturday.
- We're still a couple of weeks away from Valentine's Day, but what do you say about an annual favorite with thousands of chocolate delights...? Supporting The Firehouse Art Center, the 31st Chocolate Festival takes place from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the National Center for Employee Development Conference Center in Norman, and tickets start at just $25. To purchase tickets, visit The Firehouse Art Center or call (405) 329-4523.
- In sports, the Thunder is on the road Saturday against Cleveland but returns to the Chesapeake Energy Arena Monday for a date with Dallas.
- The Oklahoma City Barons face the Charlotte Checkers at the Cox Convention Center on Friday.
- Fresh off a win over Baylor, the Sooners men meet Kansas State at 5 p.m. in Norman.
- In music, Riverwind Casino welcomes David Cassidy. The show also includes Herman's Hermits featuring Peter Noone.
- Alt-folk-progressive acoustic string band MilkDrive takes the stage Friday at The Blue Door. Get venue & ticket information.
- And The Opolis in Norman has a full slate with A.M.P., Low Litas, and Gross Beast on Saturday.
- Here's a creepy one. A new exhibit called "Bugs: Outside the Box" opens this weekend at the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History. According to museum materials, it "presents a selection of greatly enlarged insect sculptures, each showcasing the beauty hidden within the (mini) beasts of the natural world." Oh, and they have another exhibit opening this weekend called "Beautiful Beasts: The Unseen Life of Oklahoma Spiders and Insects."
- Bank of America and Merrill Lynch offer local cardholders free admission to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum and the OKC Museum of Art both Saturday and Sunday.
- Finally among the highlights, the OKC Museum of Art is featuring an Oscar Tune-Up of film showings this month. This weekend, catch the documentary "5 Broken Cameras" and the Denmark film "A Royal Affair."
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Plaza District Association
Follow me on Twitter