An annual favorite with over 40 years of history returns to the metro this weekend. The International Finals Rodeo runs through Sunday at the State Fair Arena, a championship event that features bull riding, saddle bronc riding, tie-down roping, steer wrestling and more. There will also be a Western Trade Show and the popular OG&E Kids' Day on Sunday at 11:30. Rodeo action begins Friday at 7:30 p.m., and the Saturday performances start at 1:30 p.m.
In addition to the rodeo events, enjoy the Miss Rodeo USA pageant. With contestants from around the United States, the pageant includes style shows, rodeo performances, interviews and more, judging the participants on personality, character, appearance and horsemanship. Candidate profiles are available at missrodeousa.com. Miss Rodeo USA 2013 will be crowned Sunday.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- State Fair Park is also the site for the 31st Oklahoma City Home and Garden Show through Sunday. The metro's largest such affair, with nearly 500 exhibitors and 1,000 experts, the event features Ahmed Hassan, a celebrity landscaper and green expert that has appeared on HGTV and DIY Network shows including "Yard Crashers," "Green Me Up" and "Blog Cabin." See oklahomacityhomeshow.com for ticket information.
- Don't miss the national touring production of the Broadway hit "Jekyll & Hyde" at the Civic Center Music Hall through Sunday. Get ticket information.
- The Chesapeake Energy Arena hosts a country music legend on Saturday night... It's George Strait's The Cowboys Rides Away tour riding into the metro. Get venue & ticket information.
- Also in music, visit the UCO Jazz Lab in Edmond this Saturday to hear Jeff Mangum.
- And The Conservatory has pop-punk band Red City Radio on Saturday.
- Carpenter Square Theatre presents the drama "The Good Counselor."
- The OKC Museum of Art is showing 2012 Sundance Short Films this weekend in the Noble Theater. Get more information.
- In sports, the Barons are at the Cox Convention Center for two, Friday and Saturday against San Antonio.
- And in men's college basketball, the Cowboys face Texas Tech in Stillwater on Saturday. The Sooners are on the road Saturday but return to Norman for a Monday night meeting with Texas.
- Finally among the highlights, Art Now begins Monday at State Fair Park. It's City Arts Center's annual celebration and art sale that features national, regional and emerging artists, and the event runs through February 8th. Get all the details at cityartscenter.org.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter