There are but days remaining now... Last minute shopping will be the task of note for many of us this weekend, but there are also some metro area events to enjoy. For example, time is running out for the Downtown in December events, including all the lights on the canal, at the Myriad Gardens and in Automobile Alley. Through January 5th, snow tubing is open every day except Christmas Day, and the water taxis are free from 6-9:30 p.m all weekend. The final Saturday with Santa is this weekend at the Devon Energy Center, and it's also the last chance to get free Sunday admission to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory from 6-9 p.m.
Then, take some time to enjoy the many excellent holiday lighting displays this weekend. The displays in Yukon and Midwest City, each open a few days after Christmas, keep getting bigger every year, it seems. They're absolutely free, but don't forget to donate, as a lot of work goes into those things.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- If you're looking for a place to eat out on Christmas day, your options are limited. Here's the current list I have, but if you know of another, feel free to leave it in the comments section below.
- You won't believe your eyes when watching the world-class acrobats and gymnasts this weekend at the Chesapeake Energy Arena... The national touring production of "Cirque du Soleil: Dralion" runs through Sunday. Get venue & ticket information.
- See Lyric Theatre at the Plaza's production of the Dickens classic "A Christmas Carol."
- The OKC Theatre Company presents "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol," a "creative twist on the Dickens classic," at the Civic Center's Freede Little Theatre through Sunday.
- The Sam Noble Natural History Museum has a couple of special exhibits that close in less than 3 weeks: "Southwest Visions: Paintings from the James T. Bialac Native American Art Collection" and "Dancers & Deities: Kachinas from the James T. Bialac Native American Art Collection."
- In sports, there are two against Texas at home this weekend for the Barons.
- And the Cowboys men's basketball team welcomes Tennessee Tech to Stillwater on Saturday.
- In music, the UCO Jazz Lab has The Civilized Tribe Dixieland Band on Friday and The Jeremy Thomas Quartet on Saturday. Get venue and ticket information.
- And Sunday brings the Red Dirt Rangers Kids Christmas Show at The Blue Door. Get ticket & venue information.
- Finally among the highlights, if you don't yet know about the Paramount on Oklahoma City's Film Row, definitely check it out. This Saturday, they'll be showing "A Christmas Story" in the historic screening room.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter