It's hard to believe, but we only have two weekends before Christmas. Therefore, many are likely to be shopping over the next couple of days. But if you need a break, the Civic Center Music Hall has a couple of theatrical options for the season. First, this weekend once again brings the Oklahoma City Ballet's "The Nutcracker," the traditional classic spectacular with choreography by Robert Mills and music from the Oklahoma City Philharmonic. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling (405) 848-TOES.
Then, in the Freede Little Theatre is the OKC Theatre Company's production of "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol." According to producers, the comedy is a "creative twist on the Dickens classic." There are shows Friday and Saturday evening, as well as Sunday afternoon. Get company and ticket information.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- Downtown in December continues this weekend with outdoor ice skating, snow tubing and more. And on Sunday, admission is free at the Gaylord-Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum.
- Don't miss several unique opportunities to meet Santa in OKC this weekend. Enjoy the Christmas Train, an Orr Family Farm pancake breakfast and many more.
- A popular sporting event with more than 75 years of history returns to Oklahoma City this weekend, a chance to see Oklahoma in college basketball action... The 77th Annual All-College Classic Basketball Tournament takes place at the Chesapeake Energy Arena Saturday, with the Sooners facing Texas A&M at 1 p.m.
- The Cowboys, meanwhile, are in Stillwater against Central Arkansas on Sunday
- The Barons take on San Antonio both Friday and Saturday nights at the Cox Center.
- And the Thunder welcomes Sacramento to town on Friday night.
- The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum will hold the 18th Annual Cowboy Christmas Ball on Friday featuring Michael Martin Murphy. Make reservations online or by calling (405) 478-2250, Ext. 219.
- See Lyric Theatre at the Plaza's production of the Dickens classic "A Christmas Carol."
- Riverwind Casino has Shortt Dogg in concert on Friday and Nathan Burris on Saturday. Get ticket & venue information.
- Enjoy the KJ103 Jingle Jam with The All-American Rejects, Shiny Toy Guns, Outasight, At Long Last and Chris Richardson at Diamond Ballroom on Friday.
- Singer-songwriter Ian Moore will be at The Blue Door on Friday, and Ellis Paul takes the stage Sunday. Get ticket & venue information
- Norman's Second Friday Circuit of Art is a citywide celebration of art with everything from dance, painting, photography, music and more. Get details on 2ndfridaynorman.com.
- Finally among the highlights, don't miss Tornado Alley Day Saturday at Science Museum Oklahoma. In addition to the IMAX Dome Theater showing of "Tornado Alley," News 9 meteorologists Nick Bender, Matt Mahler and Chief Storm Tracker Val Castor will show the inner workings their storm-chasing vehicle. For more information or to purchase tickets, call (405) 602-3760.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter