With OKC Public Schools students on the continuous learning calendar, winter break is well over two weeks this year, and it's only a bit shorter for the other area districts. For many families, the time off of school necessitates finding activities for the kids. If you're in the group, consider winter break camps offered by area attractions.
- Contact the Oklahoma Children's Theatre to register for a one week performance camp that runs December 17-21 and is for kids ages 5 to 12. Cost is $150 for the week.
- City Arts Center has all-day youth camps December 17-21 at a cost of $150. Before and after care is available at an extra cost.
- Scavenger hunts, relay races and other games are all part of the camp at Oklahoma City Community College. The session runs December 17-21, each day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the cost is $75. For details, call (405) 682-7860.
- Also from December 17-21, check out the new Santa's Holiday Camp on the Oklahoma River. A project of the OKC Boathouse Foundation, the camp features Candy Cane Rock Wall, zip line, bounce houses and other games. It lasts from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m each day at a cost of $200 per child for the week or $50 per child for the day. Register online or call (405) 552-4040 for more information.
- Kids can take classes at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art December 18-21. They're open to kids ages 5-10, last from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and cost $130 for non-members. Call (405) 236-3100 for details.
- Youth basketball camps for kids 5-16 are offered from the Oklahoma City Thunder on December 27-28. Registration is $150 but cheaper for season-ticket holders. Register online.
- The Oklahoma City Zoo has camps from 9 a.m. to noon, January 2-3. They're available to kids 4-11, at a cost of $25 per child, per day (or only $20 for ZooFriends members), and snacks are provided. To register, go to okczooed.com or call (405) 425-0218.
- Last but certainly not least, contact the OKC Park and Recreation Department to inquire about special winter break hours and events at area community centers.
Follow me on Twitter