As we get closer and closer to Christmas, the Civic Center Music Hall is the place to be once again this weekend and next for a holiday theatrical treat. The Oklahoma City Ballet presents "The Nutcracker," the traditional classic spectacular with choreography by Robert Mills and music from the Oklahoma City Philharmonic.
If you saw the show years ago, you should definitely do so again, as it continues to get better and better. A couple of years ago, reviewers called it "the best production of the ballet to grace the Civic Center Music Hall stage in many years." There are performances on Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling (405) 848-TOES.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- The always-popular symphonic music of Trans-Siberian Orchestra hits the Chesapeake Energy Arena on Saturday, with performances at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- As part of the wonderful Downtown in December event, which continues with outdoor ice skating, snow tubing and more, Sunday admission will be free to the American Banjo Museum.
- Speaking of Downtown in December, Saturday also brings the SandRidge Santa Run, an event with a 5k race, a one mile fun run and a children's dash. The start and finish lines are at Leadership Square (211 N Robinson), and things get started at 9 a.m.
- Oh, and here's a brand new addition to the Downtown in December slate of events... Visit the Myriad Gardens for a Winter Market through Sunday. There will be live music, hot cocoa and over 40 vendors with crafts, art, jams and other local and handmade goods.
- For more spirit of the season, don't miss "Boogie Woogie Christmas" this Friday and Saturday at the UCO Jazz Lab, the music theatre department's annual holiday musical revue. Get ticket information and more on the venue.
- Make your way to Norman on Saturday for the Main Street Christmas Holiday Parade, starting at 10 a.m. It marches from Norman High School east on Main Street through historic Downtown Norman.
- Edmond presents its annual Parade of Lights on Saturday. It all starts with the 6 p.m. Mayor's Tree Lighting Ceremony at Shannon Miller Park (corner of Jackson and First).
- There are also community holiday events in Moore and Del City on Friday. Get details in this post from last week.
- On stage, the Sooner Theatre in Norman has "White Christmas" through Sunday. Tickets can be purchased on the official site.
- See Lyric Theatre at the Plaza's production of the Dickens classic "A Christmas Carol."
- And the OKC Theatre Company's production of "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol" takes place at the Civic Center's Freede Theatre.
- In music, The Blue Door presents the 22nd Annual Tribute to Woody Guthrie on Sunday. Performers include Red Dirt Rangers, Samantha Crain, Susan Herndon, Monica Taylor, Greg Jacobs, Tom Skinner, Lauren Lee, David Halley, Bryon White, Terry "Buffalo" Ware, Miss Brown To You and Bob Livingston. Get ticket & venue information.
- And in sports, the Thunder hosts the Los Angeles Lakers at the Peake on Friday, an 8:30 p.m. game that will be televised on ESPN. Then on Sunday, the Indiana Pacers come to town.
- Finally among the highlights, State Fair Park has a Deluxe Indie Craft Bazaar on Saturday. A community event featuring unique artists, the Bazaar has live demonstrations, music and activities. For more information, see deluxeok.net.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Logo © Oklahoma City Ballet
Follow me on Twitter