Though the holiday season can be frantic and stressful, it's also pretty tough to beat the exciting events this time of year. For example, you've known it as "A Very Merry Pops" for many years, and now it's called "The Christmas Show," the annual holiday favorite from the Oklahoma City Philharmonic.
With an 8 p.m. Friday night performance and two shows Saturday (2 p.m. and 8 p.m.) at the Civic Center Music Hall downtown, the concert sponsored by Chesapeake Energy is the Philharmonic's high-energy, joyful offering for the holiday season, a blend of classic and contemporary Christmas tunes. This year's show features Broadway star Michele Ragusa. It's definitely not to be missed. For ticket information, see the Philharmonic's website or call (405) 842-5387.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- Speaking of wonderful holiday events here in the metro, the Downtown in December festivities continue this weekend, from outdoor ice skating and snow tubing to canal rides and Saturdays with Santa. As part of the celebration, get free admission this Sunday to the OKC Museum of Art and Crystal Bridge.
- Stockyards City hosts Cowboy Christmas this weekend. The tree-lighting ceremony is Friday, and Saturday brings a 10 a.m. parade with 100 Longhorn steer, rodeo cowboys, antique cars, native dancers and more.
- Nope, that's not even all of the holiday-related fun this weekend... The city of Bethany has a downtown Christmas celebration on Saturday, with a ceremonial tree lighting, treats, live music, store specials and more.
- Head to Yukon for the 17th Annual Mayor's Christmas Party for Kids at Robertson Activity Center on Saturday. Santa will be there, and kids can enjoy crafts and games.
- On stage, the Canterbury Choral Society presents "Baroque Christmas" at the Civic Center Music Hall on Sunday. Get all the details at canterburyokc.com.
- The Sooner Theatre in Norman has "White Christmas." Tickets can be purchased on the official site.
- And Lyric at the Plaza presents "A Christmas Carol."
- The Thunder concludes a 3-game homestand Friday at the Chesapeake Arena against Utah.
- After the thrilling Bedlam game, the Sooners try to win at least a share of the Big 12 title Saturday against TCU in Ft. Worth. That regular season finale game kicks off at 11 a.m. and will be televised on ESPN. Also at 11 a.m. but on FX, the Cowboys face the Baylor Bears in Waco.
- In music, Delfeayo Marsalis will appear Saturday at the UCO Jazz Lab.
- And The Blue Door has folk and blues singer John Fullbright on Saturday, then Kinky Friedman on Sunday. Get venue & ticket information.
- If you're a Bank of America cardholder, you can get free admission to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, City Arts Center or the OKC Museum of Art on Saturday and Sunday.
- Finally among the highlights, check out the 36th Annual OKC Train Show at State Fair Park on Saturday and Sunday. Enjoy 20,000 square feet of operating model railroad displays of all scales as well as children's play area, photos, clothing and much more.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter