If you've eaten as much holiday food as I have, your instinct likely is to avoid movement altogether, to sit on that couch and hibernate. But you mustn't obey it. Get out this weekend. One perfect opportunity to do so comes in the form of an annual OKC favorite, Downtown in December. Head to Bricktown Friday evening for the 6 p.m. tree lighting ceremony featuring live music, Santa, holiday treats and more. And all weekend you can start to enjoy the many Downtown in December events. You will find the outdoor ice rink at the Myriad Gardens, snow tubing slides at the Bricktown Ballpark, and beautiful holiday lights along the canal and in Automobile Alley. Plus, there's Devon's Saturdays With Santa for the kids, Santa's Adventures on the Oklahoma River for the whole family and much, much more to come over the next several weeks.
Elsewhere around OKC...
- Speaking of fun holiday traditions here in the metro, how about the Devon Energy Holiday River Parade on the Oklahoma River. Festivities begin around 6 p.m. Friday, and about 20 boats, decorated in holiday lights, will parade the river as a fireworks display adorns the sky.
- In previous years, it was held on Thanksgiving day, but this year, the Turkey Trot Classic is the day after. There's a USATF-sanctioned 5k race, a children's run and a one-mile fun run.
- Need more holiday lights to get you ready for the season? Worry not. There are several other options this weekend around the metro... Visit some of the top displays in OKC, including Yukon's Christmas in the Park and Midwest City's Holiday Lights Spectacular.
- There is sure to be plenty of shopping this weekend, Black Friday and otherwise. As I noted earlier this week, don't forget the local businesses and their many specials.
- On stage, the Sooner Theatre in Norman Presents "White Christmas." Tickets can be purchased on the official site.
- The Norman Ballet Company presents "The Oklahoma Nutcracker" Sunday. See the official site for more information.
- And Reduxion Theatre's production of "Richard III" concludes this weekend. Purchase tickets on the official site.
- See Rick Ross, Meek Mill and Wale at the Chesapeake Arena on Friday. Get venue & ticket information.
- Stoney Larue performs at Riverwind Casino Friday. Get venue & ticket information.
- The Conservatory has No Bragging Rights on Saturday.
- In sports, the Thunder is on the road this weekend for games against Boston and Philly, returning home Monday against Charlotte.
- Norman is the place to be for Bedlam 2012, televised on ESPN at 2:30 Saturday.
- And finally among the highlights, State Fair Park features the Gun, Knife and Outdoor Equipment Show through Sunday.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter