If the entertainment magazines are to be believed, everyone is out seeing "Twilight" this weekend. But for those of us who don't care much about the movie, we'll get out and enjoy the ever-building holiday spirit. There's a giant Christmas ornament in front of the Devon Energy Center, the lights are going up all around town and the shopping push begins soon. This weekend brings the debut of two of the metro's most popular holiday light displays. First, Midwest City opens their Holiday Lights Spectacular event at Joe B. Barnes Regional Park on Friday, beginning at 6 p.m., a daily drive-through affair featuring over 1 million lights and 85 displays. And Saturday, Yukon joins the party with Christmas in the Park (pictured), a 100-acre holiday wonderland with more than 100 light displays, Yukon Express train rides, horse-drawn carriages and more.
Elsewhere this weekend...
- The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum has the Small Works, Great Wonders Winter Art Sale on Friday, from 6-9 p.m. The fundraiser features works from Prix de West and other select artists.
- The OKC Philharmonic presents a classics concert on Saturday night. "Blazing Colors with a French Twist" spotlights Barry Douglas on piano.
- Halloween is long gone, but you can still catch a fright in El Reno... Saturday brings the Ghosts of Fort Reno Tour, a lantern-lit, paranormal experience that includes eerie tales of the historic post. See the official site for details.
- Get free admission to the Gaylord Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum in honor of Statehood Day on Saturday.
- Reduxion Theatre's production of "Richard III" continues. Purchase tickets on the official site.
- CityRep presents "The Normal Heart" at the Civic Center's Freede Little Theatre through Sunday. Get ticket information.
- A.R.T. Show: Art in Recycled Trash, a new exhibit at Science Museum Oklahoma, features work by 12 local artists: Jordan Dean, Jara Swong, Greg Brown, Bill Boetcher, Robert Emerson, Clair Rollins, Lisa Allswede, Joey Rodman, Christie Owen, Beatriz Mayorca, Emily McConnel and Kris Kanaly.
- In sports, the Thunder is home Sunday against Golden State, a 6 p.m. tip.
- The Barons face Milwaukee both Friday and Saturday nights.
- The Sooners are on the road in West Virgina. That game is on FOX at 6 p.m. Saturday. And the Cowboys host Texas Tech for a 2:30 Saturday game televised on FSN.
- In music, The Conservatory has Stillwater indie rockers DEERPEOPLE on Friday night.
- Visit Thunderbird Casino in Norman on Friday to see Texas singer, songwriter and guitarist Johnny Cooper.
- Rodney Parker & 50 Peso Reward perform Friday at The Blue Door.
- And enjoy acoustic sounds of Peter Mulvey Sunday at Sante Fe Depot in Norman. See pasnorman.org for more information.
- Finally among the highlights, check out the World Organization of China Painters holiday events. The Yuletide Tree Celebration is Saturday. See aqha.com for all the details.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © City of Yukon
Follow me on Twitter