As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, one highlight of this weekend is a Broadway production that won 44 major theatrical awards and was a 2007 Tony Award-nominee for Best Musical. With a Saturday performance and two on Sunday at the Civic Center Music Hall, "Mary Poppins" is the national touring musical based on the stories of P.L. Travers and the classic 1964 Walt Disney film. To date, the show has entertained an estimated 9.3 million people across the world since it debuted in London in 2004. Tickets can be purchased by calling (800) 869-1451 or (405) 297-2264 as well as online at CelebrityAttractions.com.
Elsewhere this weekend...
- To celebrate their service on the important holiday, veterans receive free admission to a number of OKC attractions on Sunday, including the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma History Center, and the OKC Zoo.
- Speaking of Veterans Day, there are a couple of events honoring our service men and women... The 45th Infantry Museum has its annual ceremony Sunday at 10 a.m., and in Norman, there will be a Veteran's Day Parade and Ceremony. The 2 p.m. parade moves from Eufaula and James Garner Boulevard down Jenkins Street to the Cleveland County Veterans Memorial at Reaves Park for a 4 p.m. ceremony.
- Reduxion Theatre's production of "Richard III" begins, with shows Friday and Saturday. Purchase tickets on the official site.
- Comedian George Lopez takes the stage Saturday night at Lucky Star Casino in Concho.
- The Rose State College Performing Arts Theater presents chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain's "Guts & Glory" tour on Sunday. Call (405) 297-2264 for ticket information.
- Norman's Second Friday Circuit of Art is a citywide celebration of art with everything from dance, painting, photography, music and more. Get details on 2ndfridaynorman.com.
- In sports, the Thunder has two in town over the weekend. First, there's a Friday night meeting with Detroit, and then OKC welcomes the Cavaliers on Sunday at 6 p.m.
- The Barons are on the road this weekend but will return home Tuesday to face Toronto.
- And the Sooners face Baylor in Norman on Saturday, a 2:30 p.m. game, while the Cowboys meet Big 12 newcomer West Virginia in Stillwater at the same time.
- In music, visit the UCO Jazz Lab for Equilibrium on Friday and the Michael Summers Band CD Release Party on Saturday.
- The ACM@UCO Performance Lab in Bricktown presents The 7 Project Release Show w/ O Fidelis and Jabee, the culmination of a project in which seven artists wrote and recorded seven songs in seven days. See chevymusicshowcase.com for details.
- Finally among the highlights, the Civic Center Music Hall is the venue for the Fall Peace Festival this Sunday. The 26th version of the event, a holiday shopping bazaar featuring food, live music and tables of more than 50 social justice groups and local crafts vendors, runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. See peacehouseok.org for more.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter