Temperatures remain well over a hundred degrees this weekend, but many in the metro will be out and about, allowing the air conditioning of malls and clothing stores to be their refuge. That's because shopping is the name of the game during the state's sales tax holiday, a chance to save some money on shoes and clothes. Many establishments will have extended hours for the weekend. For example, at the one year anniversary of the Outlet Shoppes of Oklahoma City, stores are open until 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 7 p.m. on Sunday. There will be promotions, live entertainment, valet parking and more. Quail Springs and Penn Square are similarly staying open an hour later each day, and the latter will feature a DJ, face painting and giveaways. Don't forget to visit your local establishments as well for tax weekend specials.
After you're shopped out, here are some highlight weekend events to check out...
- The Paseo's First Friday Gallery Walk features art openings, demonstrations, wine tastings and live music, all continuing into Saturday.
- "Dive In Movies" at White Water Bay wrap up this week... The movie is included with park admission, and this Friday's movie is "Dolphin Tale."
- Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park's production of "Cymbeline" concludes Saturday at the Myriad Gardens Water Stage.
- Enjoy the newly opened "Generation Next: Chapter Two by Desmond Mason" exhibit at the Gaylord-Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum. It showcases 15 original pieces by artist and former professional basketball player Desmond Mason.
- In music, this week's Sunday Twilight Concert Series on the Myriad Gardens Grand Lawn features the Latin Music of Son del Barrio.
- Fusion quartet Gypsy Wind performs Friday night at the Norman Depot. Get more information at pasnorman.org.
- And the Summer Breeze Concert Series in Norman has The Bel Airs.
- Riverwind Casino hosts KRXO's 8th Annual Beer Fest on Saturday. Call (405) 322-6464 for tickets.
- If you're a Bank of America cardholder, you can get free admission to the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, City Arts Center or the OKC Museum of Art on Saturday and Sunday.
- Finally among the highlights, the 23rd Oklahoma Indian Nations Pow Wow takes place at the Concho Parade Grounds in El Reno, Friday through Sunday. The event includes 5k Buffalo Run, turtle races, volleyball tournament, food, live entertainment and more. Call (405) 476-1134 for more information.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter