July 4th comes in the middle of next week, but enjoy a couple of Independence Day-related celebrations in Edmond this weekend. LibertyFest features a kid's sidewalk chalk contest at Festival Market Place downtown on Friday and a Saturday car show at Hafer Park. KiteFest is both Saturday and Sunday at Mitch Park. Then on Sunday, there's the always-popular Taste of Edmond at Festival Market Place. Among the 40 featured restaurants are Humble Pie, Earl's, POPS, Flat Tire Burgers, Hideaway Pizza, Othello's and Ted's Cafe Escondido.
Another highlight event is at the Cox Convention Center through Sunday. The annual Summer Classic Dog Shows feature vendors, behind-the-scenes tours and, of course, the competition. There are thousands of entries from across the country, representing a number of breeds. Tickets are $7 for adults, $2 for children and free for kids under 12. Get more information and ticket purchasing details.
- Don't miss the World Cup of Softball at the ASA National Softball Hall of Fame Stadium through Monday. This year's event includes the 2012 USA Softball Women's National Teams and women's teams from Australia, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands. See asasoftball.com for details.
- This weekend brings to Oklahoma City an entertainment favorite that has delighted families for more than a century... The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus takes place through Sunday at the Chesapeake Energy Arena. Get venue & ticket information.
- The RedHawks return to the Brick on Saturday to kick off a short four-game homestand against Memphis.
- On stage, Lyric Theatre presents "Bye Bye Birdie" through Saturday at the Civic Center Music Hall.
- And Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park's summer season at the Myriad Gardens Water Stage features "Two Gentlemen of Verona" through Saturday. Get all the details.
- In music, the Sunday Twilight Concert Series, held on the Myriad Gardens Grand Lawn, brings unique jazz/blues/pop from Equilibrium.
- The Summer Nights Series in Moore hosts classic rock from Zoom City on Friday.
- Riverwind Casino in Norman has Uncle Kracker on Friday. Get venue & ticket information.
- Dance and show band Souled Out will be at the UCO Jazz Lab Friday night. The dance floor will be open as well. Get venue & ticket information.
- And Norman's Summer Breeze Series features Ginger Leigh on Sunday.
- Peruse retro and vintage items at the Junk Hippy Road Show this Saturday at State Fair Park. Admission is $3 per person, and there will be furniture, antiques and more from local businesses. See the facebook page for details.
- Finally among the highlights, the Salvation Army is hosting an Internet Safety Day Friday in El Reno (201 S. Bickford). The free event is for all ages and includes snacks, interactive booths and experts discussing internet topics such as social networking and identify theft. For more information, call (405) 295-2343.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter