It's almost time for the celebration of dear old Dad, and if you're looking for something he might enjoy for Father's Day weekend, consider a Bricktown event that highlights live music and tasty food. The 17th Annual Bricktown Blues & BBQ Festival takes place Friday and Saturday at the corner of Sheridan & Oklahoma Avenue. Admission is absolutely free. In addition to the championship barbecue, the event features live blues music until late in the night. Get a schedule of performers.
On Sunday, don't forget that a number of Oklahoma City attractions offer free admission for dads. For example, take him to the Oklahoma City Zoo, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum or Orr Family Farm.
Elsewhere this weekend...
- Zoobilation 2012 is Friday at the Oklahoma City Zoo. It's a "no-tie gala" fundraiser that features food, silent auction, live music and more.
- Take an opportunity to protect your children this weekend with the help of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation ... The OSBI will be at Science Museum Oklahoma Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., offering guests free child fingerprinting and child identification kits.
- Speaking of Science Museum Oklahoma, Friday brings their "Bright Night of Grossology," an all night event in which kids explore the "really gross science of the human body."
- Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park begins its summer season at the Myriad Gardens Water Stage with "Two Gentlemen of Verona."
- In music, the Sunday Twilight Concert Series, held on the Myriad Gardens Grand Lawn, brings big band jazz, swing and classical from The Al Good Orchestra, founded in 1944.
- The Summer Nights Series in Moore hosts the acoustic alternative folk, jazz, blues and rock of Jennifer Marriott on Friday.
- Beau Jennings & The Tigers will perform in Norman's Summer Breeze concert series at Lions Park on Sunday.
- And Montgomery Gentry will take the stage Saturday as part of Frontier City's summer concert series.
- There's an Oklahoma City Roller Derby bout Saturday at Farmers Public Market.
- Riverwind Casino presents King of the Cage Thunderstorm on Saturday.
- The Sheraton Hotel hosts SoonerCon 21 through Sunday, a 3-day convention for all things science fiction and fantasy that includes comic creators, writers, artists, vendors, gaming tournaments, dances, workshops, demonstrations and more. See soonercon.com for more information.
- And finally among the highlights, check out the new "Soaring Voices: Recent Ceramics by Women from Japan" exhibit at City Arts Center. With 87 contemporary ceramic works by 25 women artists from Japan, the touring exhibition will be here through August 25th before traveling to the Maui Arts and Cultural Center in Kahului, HI.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter