It's been a very nice season of touring Broadway shows from Celebrity Attractions this year at the Civic Center Music Hall. "The Addams Family" was one of the fall highlights, and they still have "Stomp" and "Fiddler on the Roof" to come. But what is sure to be one of the most popular of the year arrives this weekend, Broadway smash hit and international sensation "Mamma Mia!" The feel-good show features ABBA's greatest hits and tells a story of love and friendship. Tickets are available for three remaining performances through Sunday. Purchase online or by calling (800) 869-1451.
Elsewhere this weekend...
- The 18th Annual Mardi Gras Parade hits downtown Norman at 7 p.m. on Saturday. It includes fire dancers, jazz bands, artists, bright costumes, live music and more. Get more information at visitnorman.com.
- The Chesapeake Energy Arena is the site for Christian music's largest annual tour on Saturday... Winter Jam 2012 features Skillet, NewSong, Sanctus Real and Peter Furler. Get ticket purchasing information.
- Riverwind Casino hosts KRXO's Annual Tennis Show and Tuxedo Ball on Saturday.
- On stage, there's "Same Time Next Year" at the Civic Center's City Space Theatre this weekend from the Oklahoma City Theatre Company.
- In sports, it's home cooking over the next five games for the Thunder. After Friday night's game with Golden State, OKC welcomes Denver on Sunday and New Orleans on Monday.
- The Barons are also at home for a stretch. They have Milwaukee Friday and Saturday, then San Antonio on Sunday.
- And in men's basketball, the Sooners are at Iowa State for a 12:30 Saturday tip, but the Cowboys are in-state, facing the Longhorns in Stillwater at 3 p.m. Saturday.
- In music, Loretta Lynn will be at the Lucky Star Casino on Saturday.
- Or catch alt-folk-progressive acoustic string band MilkDrive at the Blue Door on Saturday. Get ticket & venue information.
- Then, there's country rock from The Casey Donahew Band on Saturday at the Diamond Ballroom.
- Science Museum Oklahoma presents Extreme Sports Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. In addition to the extreme sports action in the IMAX theatre, the event includes 12 local extreme sports retailers and experts hosting live demonstrations throughout the day.
- And finally among the highlights, the Oklahoma City Roller Derby Rollergirls support the Katie Moody Heart of Lifecare Foundation with a Saturday bout at the Farmers Public Market on Klein. See okcrd.com for more details.
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © Adam Knapp
Follow me on Twitter