It's a long, holiday weekend, and fireworks will be seen across the metro sky as we celebrate our nation's birth with several fantastic July 4th events. Also, get more for July 4th in OKC such as information on fireworks, area lakes and even holiday recipes.
In Bricktown, there's Red, White & Boom, with a concert from the OKC Philharmonic on Sunday and fireworks both Sunday and Monday. The Philharmonic then makes a Monday appearance in Yukon for Freedom Fest 2011, a huge festival that includes live music, a car show, parade and much more. Working around the metro, consider also the Bethany Freedom Festival and Edmond's LibertyFest. The former features a carnival, music, car show and more while Edmond's event boasts one of the largest Independence Day parades in the state. Midwest City's event returns this year, and the city of Moore presents Art in the Park Sunday and Monday with music, arts and crafts, carnival rides and food before their fireworks display.
- Before enjoying the fireworks for Red, White & Boom, head out to the ballpark for RedHawks baseball. July 4th is the start of a 3-game series with the Iowa Cubs.
- Thousands of dogs, representing breeds from all over the world, converge on the Cox Convention Center this week for an annual favorite... With vendors, behind-the-scenes tours and, of course, the competition, it's the OKC Summer Classic Dog Shows through Sunday.
- On stage, Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park's summer season at the Myriad Gardens Water Stage features "The Merry Wives of Windsor."
- And Carpenter Square Theatre presents "Five Women Wearing the Same Dress" at the Bricktown Hotel and Convention Center. For tickets, call (405) 595-9044.
- In music, catch Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen at Riverwind Casino on Saturday. After the performance, there will be a free fireworks show outside. Get venue & ticket information.
- And Moore's Summer Nights Concert Series concludes Friday night with Brad Porton and Overdrive.
- Finally among the highlights, Stars and Stripes Park at Lake Hefner is the site for a holiday celebration 5K Run/Walk on Saturday. The most patriotic participant will win $100. For more information, call (405) 620-0773
Are you attending any of the above events, or has something else caught your eye this weekend? Let us know below. You can submit future events for publication and possible profile here on About Oklahoma City by using this form.
Photo © City of Yukon
Follow me on Twitter