1. Local
Adam Knapp

Downtown Boulevard Name

By April 13, 2011

As I suspect is the case with a number of people, I didn't pay much attention when the discussion first began. Mayor Mick Cornett recommended the new downtown boulevard, which will replace the current stretch of relocated I-40, be called "Oklahoma City Boulevard." Very early in the process, I thought. Still plenty of time to open it up for suggestions.

Perhaps not. Yesterday, the City Council accepted the name, and funding for permanent signage has been discussed. Some aren't happy with "Oklahoma City Boulevard," or at least with the manner in which it was chosen. Oklahoman writer Steve Lackmeyer asks in a recent blog, "Considering this is supposed to be a grand new entry to downtown, is the sole opinion of a man whose career was in sports broadcasting (he did video production for a short time before being elected mayor) good enough for dismissing any public input..."?

What do you think? Do you like the name "Oklahoma City Boulevard," or can you do better?

Comments

April 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(1) gerald says:

i know hes trying to build the brand of “Oklahoma City” with the name but it sounds boring to me. i read on another forum a couple that i like: redbud boulevard or frontier boulevard

April 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm
(2) Rhonda says:

I think it’s a ridiculous name. First of all, it’s way too long. Everyone will shorten it to “OKC Blvd” which just looks silly in my opinion. Second of all, it has no imagination at all. Nothing that excites the mind or bring ups images of our past, present or future. How can we claim to be a town that wants to bring artistry, imagination and vision and slap something so plain on a main road?

April 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm
(3) biged says:

Might as well call it I-40 blvd. makes as much since. But when it comes to our wonderful mayor what does make since any more?
Name the road Will Rogers Blvd. or something else to do with Oklahoma or even OKC blvd like Rhonda said cause that’s what it will be called any way.

April 18, 2011 at 9:03 am
(4) Keith says:

That’s a ridiculous name! You wouldn’t be on the street if you didn’t know you were in Oklahoma City in the first place! I love someone’s suggestion of Will Rogers Blvd or Frontier Blvd. Go with something that hints at OKC’s history or heritage. Or Central Blvd or something that gives a traveler some idea of where the road is located. Think about out-of-towners if you’re trying to get more convention business.

April 18, 2011 at 1:43 pm
(5) Deb says:

I am not excited about it either. It doesn’t bring to mind the city, history, culture nothing.. I keep thinking about Boardwalk, Boulevard, Sunset Strip, River Walk, all of these are places I’ve been, and each name brings back different memories of the place. I think we should cash in on the red dirt.. It seems to be one of the very first things that visitors notice.
Heck even Boomer Lane, or Sooner Ave are more interesting …. even if OSU would protest. I liked the Redbud Boulevard idea because of the state tree.

April 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(6) Gerard says:

I think the name sucks, plain and simple. I agree with a name such as “Redbud Boulevard” or “Frontier Boulevard” or how about “Scissortail Boulevaard”?

Why does Mick Cornett get to name it? He needs to learn to share.

April 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm
(7) Brenda says:

So, for example, a mailing address will look like this:

Red Company
1000 Oklahoma City Boulevard
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Way too many “Oklahoma’s”. I agree, it will be written as OKC. dumb…

April 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(8) JoAnne says:

Thunder Blvd!

April 20, 2011 at 11:47 am
(9) Julian says:

Thunder Rd. ! Like Garth Brooks!

July 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(10) Bob L. says:

How about “Bricktown Blvd?” Help travelers find Bricktown with Exit Signs which says “Bricktown Blvd.” Then they may exit and come to Bricktown to spend money to place their tax dollars in OKC coffers.