1. Travel
Adam Knapp

Oklahoma City Schools to Use Year-Round Calendar

By December 14, 2010

As of the beginning of this school year, Oklahoma City Public Schools has seven schools currently on a continuous learning or "year-round" school calendar. And it seems Superintendent Karl Springer and the school board like what they see. After a unanimous vote yesterday, all 78 schools in the Oklahoma City district will move to the new continuous learning calendar for 2011.

Though it's often referred to as "year-round," in general, a continuous learning schedule consists of spacing out the breaks a bit more rather than having a long summer break. Classes will begin in early August, and students will receive a number of "intersessions" throughout the year including a two-week Fall Break, a three-day Thanksgiving Break, a three-week Winter Break, a two-week Spring Break and finally eight weeks for summer. To get a better idea of how it works, see this year's continuous learning calendar.

Comments
December 14, 2010 at 9:31 am
(1) gerald says:

doesn’t really seem like that much of a change to me. are kids really going to retain so much more information with just a few weeks less in the summer?

December 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm
(2) amy says:

December 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(3) WL Conley says:

Both my children who are in high school at this time, attended year round school, Horace Mann & Sequoyah, during their elementary years. My daughter liked it because she said her summers were just long enough to not get boring. My son liked it because he said the teachers spend just a few day reviewing things when you returned instead of a couple weeks. He says he knows he remembered stuff better. I missed it when they went to regular schedules for middle and high school. Attending year round they would go long enough to need a long break and then get a few weeks off. I could see that they learned better. My daughter is a senior this year but my son is a freshman. We are now waiting to see if his charter school will go to year round – he is really hoping so!! I am glad to see that Oklahoma City has realized the benefits for this system and others will realize and follow suit.

December 20, 2010 at 11:13 am
(4) mer09j says:

I think this will better prepare children for the real world where you don’t get 2 months off for summer. You rarely get both Thanksgiving and Christmas vaction time. Typically I’ll get 3 days for Either Thanksgiving or Christmas and forget New Years. I truly think this will be better for childrens adaptation to the work world.

January 14, 2011 at 11:16 am
(5) destiny says:

eight weeks and two months are the same thing. two months summer vacation is still given.

August 5, 2011 at 6:30 am
(6) Angela says:

They oughta keep the little urchins in year-round…and I mean REALLY year-round. they belong in school anyway. When I can have 2 months a year with pay off from my JOB….then let the little urchins out. Prep ‘em for the real world.

Give ‘em no more than one week off at a time, and make those few and far between. I only get two weeks off a year why should they get any more than that?

August 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(7) BC says:

Dear Angela, teachers are not given paid summer vacations as you believe. Their contracts are for number of days in the school year. Most districts divide that pay between 12 months.

I think year round school is an excellent idea, not only for retention, but because of the large numbers of children who depend on schools to feed them.

September 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm
(8) Ms. Mom says:

I like the year round schedule. It allows the children to better appreciate the breaks. However, to “Angela”, an Urchin refers to a animal in the sea. Please do not refer to my children as Urchins and just for thought, you may want to change your profession!

January 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm
(9) Barbara says:

Angela….
when someone doesn’t know what they are talking about, then they need to keep quiet!!

March 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm
(10) rene says:

im tryin 2 fing a calender 2 see when i get back into school from spring break and this websites inconvenients is not helpin u democrats cant run a school

April 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm
(11) Trey says:

Happy to see this change for my soon to be Kindergartener at OKC public schools. Of course he managed to survive daycare going 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, from 8 am to 5 pm since the age of 2.

July 29, 2012 at 12:26 am
(12) Adrienne says:

school should not be year round. its wrong and it puts way to much stress on the kids and adults. everyone deserves a break, kids and adults

July 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm
(13) gjm11653 says:

Stupid that is all I can say! I spent long summers traveling across the country and staying with different relatives and going camping. How are parents supposed to take long vacations now! Summer is called Summer for a reason, to relax and have 3 months of fun, not off on off on. My children are grown, but if they were still in OKC schools they would not start until after Labor Day as it should be. I don’t know what happens when kids don’t start school by the elite that decide for everyone else. School is not a job there is time for that later, so let kids have a summer for Gods sake. Shame on the school system.

July 29, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(14) gloria mcmillian says:

Year round school is an idiotic idea.

July 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm
(15) gloria mcmillian says:

I heard that the school system is doing this so kids retain what they learned! How did my generation retain anything then? I believe faculty and staff of the school system have done their job so poorly that they need to find a scapegoat and by saying the kids don’t remember anything during the summer it lets their bad teaching off the hook. Besides too many parents don’t care what their kids learn, many familes that are new to OKC don’t care if their kids don’t learn, they let them run the streets anyway. You need stability, and parents who care and the summer will take care of itself.

August 14, 2013 at 8:10 am
(16) Tom says:

It seems to me that the Oklahoma school year might want to be off on the Months of April, May and June. These are the three months of the year when over 80% of tornadoes occur in the state.

Makes sense not to have collections of students in one location during these peak activity months and it is much cheaper than building safe rooms in all Oklahoma schools.

Tom