1. Local
Adam Knapp

Worst Speed Traps in Oklahoma

By September 12, 2010

I had never heard of the National Speed Trap Exchange until now, but the National Motorists Association project accepts reports from drivers about speed traps all across the nation. Reports are broken down by city and state, each accompanied by a description from the driver and an opportunity for viewers to vote on whether the location is, in fact, a speed trap.

According to a compilation of those reports, the National Motorists Association has named the Worst Speed Traps for each state. In Oklahoma, Tulsa was chosen as the "worst overall" while Moore was named the worst with a population of less than 100,000. Admittedly, I'm only occasionally down in Moore, but I've never received a ticket there. What do you think? What would you call the worst speed trap in Oklahoma?

Comments

September 12, 2010 at 11:19 am
(1) gerald says:

edmond is much worse than moore. there are cops every block and they are hard-asses.

September 13, 2010 at 12:55 am
(2) JKA says:

Moore cops are nothing but revenue hunters.

September 13, 2010 at 9:29 am
(3) Glendale says:

You want to get a ticket, for driving left of center or taken to jail. Come through Kingston after midnight with a out of county tag. I’ll read about you in the paper.

September 13, 2010 at 10:44 am
(4) Dave says:

Moore is sooooo bad. Not just for speeding. I had a dirty tag light and was pulled over…and they are just huge jerks. They are NOT there to “protect and serve”, they are there to generate revenue for the city of Moore. I’d rather get a ticket in Forest Park or Valley Brook.

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 am
(5) Rick says:

Police have become ad-hoc tax assessors. Our municipalities are not small-government oriented. We have grown our local governments at an alarming rate, faster than sales tax revenues can keep up with. The remedy is to write more traffic citations, especially in small communities whose residents don’t even shop in their hometown. Its ridiculous and predatory.

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 am
(6) Steve says:

All of the small towns between OKC and Enid on highway 3/81 would qualify as speed traps. There are always a couple of highway patrol cars on I-40 West of El Reno waiting to pull you over for any reason.

September 13, 2010 at 11:11 am
(7) Jane says:

Forest Park, hands down, is a money-generating speed trap.

September 13, 2010 at 11:30 am
(8) Jo says:

September 13, 2010 at 11:32 am
(9) Rhonda says:

I live in Moore and haven’t had any tickets there. However, there is a “speed trap” portion of I-35 through Moore. When you are coming North as you leave Norman and enter into Moore there is a 10mph speed limit drop that’s not well marked. I know that’s where a lot of the tickets in Moore come form.

September 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm
(10) larry says:

in Sawyer near Hugo, there is one or 2 business places and they have 2 cop cars.

September 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm
(11) Lonnie says:

I have been to almost every town and city in our great state. However the speed limit on 183 coming from the South into Cordell slows to 25mph. The biggest problem is the sign is behind a tree branch and is totally obscured in the dark.

September 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm
(12) Kurt says:

Rush Springs, OK and Waukomis, OK (referenced above on Hwy 81) have my vote. You’d better watch out for Barney Fife in Rush Springs…his cruiser is a couple of years old and it’s about time to buy a new one.

September 13, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(13) Beverly says:

If you’re not speeding, then there’s no problem.

September 14, 2010 at 10:13 am
(14) Bob says:

Speed limits are posted for safety and based on road conditions, terrain, amount of traffic, and much, much more, not to just be a pain in your neck.
No speeding, no ticket and much safer.

September 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(15) okc says:

Was someone advocating speeding? Most are referring to “traps” that for one reason or another cause confusion (quick speed change, sign visibility issue, limit uncommon to road/highway type etc.), and the officers are more than ready to take advantage of the situation in order to generate revenue.

September 15, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(16) John says:

Rush Springs is a good example. I live there and grew up there. When I was growing up we had one police chief and a deputy. One police car plus an old one for a spare. Now we have seven police officers, each with a vehicle. The population is the same as when I was a kid. To pay the cost almost all speed limits were lowered. Tickets are issued for as little as one mph over the limit. It is about money, not about safety. For those who say ‘don’t speed’, what we are witnessing is the rise of fascism, where the police control everything. It is a disturbing trend. Better to cut back on police and live more free.

September 19, 2010 at 1:07 am
(17) EWar says:

I live in Moore close the the street Janeway. Its the biggest speed trap in the metro. It is a wide 4 lane raod with a speed limit of 30mph (no reason for that, should be 40). the cops sit on the side streets and pop those going 40 almost every single day.
I also had an incident with a friend who was driving. He had a huge crack on his windsheild. We pulled into a convinience store just as 2 officers were getting into their cruiser. When we came out they were gone but as soon as he pulled out of the parking lot they were behind us lights flashing. They had seen the car and waited out of sight for him to pull out so they could write a ticket. They could have addressed the issue in the parking lot, but without him driving it on the road they wouldn’t have made any money.

October 7, 2010 at 8:24 am
(18) birdie says:

Rush Springs IS really a bad speed trap on 81, this needs to be stopped . we can call our state reps. and let them wotk for us, city officers have no reason to be patrolling highways.

October 25, 2010 at 9:37 am
(19) Anthony says:

“Jo says:
Verdon and Gracemont are both the worst in our area. NEVER go over the speed limit in those towns unless you plan to contribute to their economy.”

I just got a ticket yesterday evening just outside of gracemont Gracemont for doing 35 in a 25 right before the 45 sign. $117 Me and my family are already financialy strapped being a one income family. My wife takes care of the our baby. I have a bachlors degree and work for a University for $9 an hour. What can I do?

November 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm
(20) Cheryl says:

Dustin Oklahoma, on Highway 9…the Chief of Police drives around with his wife/girlfriend in the car with him!! Couple of Gas stations and a dairy mart…speed limit goes to 35 I was going 53 starting to slow down…

January 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm
(21) Bruce says:

Stringtown is the worst for cops that will lie to give you a ticket.

May 26, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(22) Jo says:

Alex!! I was lost and was so glad to see the highway but there were no signs, didn’t even know there was a town there…and got my first ticket in 24 years. Then they left a message on my machine saying they didn’t get my money in time and would need another $100 or they were coming to pick me up!!! Some scam they have going there and it’s legal! Watch out!

August 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(23) judy says:

Norman police are constantly ticketing anyone that goes even slightly over the limit. Be very careful on Flood Street between main and robinson. Speed limit is 25, even though it is business. Cop hides right by first speed limit sign………Haven’t had a ticket in 15 years, but got one for doing 37. Gee

October 18, 2011 at 10:24 am
(24) A.J. says:

Amber and Minco small towns are the worst ever. I was given a $90 ticket at 5:00 am in Minco, OK. My taillights blew a fuse, I didn’t know it. I fixed it in front of him and he wrote me a ticket. Amber cop wrote me a speeding ticket while I was meeting the real culprit in a truck right in front of him. I asked how he knew it was me and not the truck, he said I wasn’t in a position to question him. $170. 2 days later he was arrested for aiming his gun and threatening his 2 small children and wife. Barney Fife!!

June 3, 2013 at 9:46 am
(25) Russ says:

Prague Ok. Has a new officer. He is a ticket writting officer. Does each stop like a felony stop. He detained me and my girlfriend over fourty minutes for failure to use a blinker. Keep my girl friend standing along the road breathing exhaust fumes until she had an asthma attack. And refused to let her set down. He was nice enough to allow her to lean on his car.

August 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(26) Ronald says:

I have had 2 tickets in thirty years and they both came from the town of Amber Ok.Not to say that I wasnt speeding but do they watch a little closer than other towns so they can raise their revenue for town by handing out speeding tickets. I go threw a lot of little towns and their speed limits are sometimes a joke at how low they are. Is the state playing along with these speed traps ? I wonder