1. Local
Adam Knapp

OKC Outlet Mall Finalized

By July 6, 2010

It has taken a bit longer than expected, due largely to market changes and economic issues, but the Oklahoma City Council approved an altered agreement last week that allows the developer, Horizon Group Properties LP, to begin work on an Oklahoma City Outlet Mall at the northeast corner of I-40 and Council Road.

Under the new agreement, the city is going to fund a larger amount of public improvements for the project, but it is estimated the outlet mall will generate $106 million in annual retail sales and an estimated $4.1 million in annual sales tax revenues. Not only will it generate jobs for OKC, but experts say the outlet mall will bring new shoppers to the area. Currently, the closest outlet mall to the metro is in Gainesville, Texas, 135 miles away.

With a planned completion date of Christmas 2011, "Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City" will be a 320,000 square foot facility, and already, 80 percent of the shops are spoken for. As of May 10th, the list of retailers includes Sac Fifth Avenue Off 5th, Nike, Brooks Brothers, Under Armour, Banana Republic, Gap, Guess, Chico's and Tommy Hilfiger. Some artists renderings are available on the Horizon Group's website.

Rendering Horizon Group Properties

Comments

July 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(1) Ray Roman says:

It’s very exciting that the Council approved this project. Oklahoma City is outstanding when it comes to driving project that benefit the community as well as the tax base.

Even in this economy we are doing great and the fact that 80% of the available stores are spoken for is incredible.

Regards

July 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm
(2) Marie says:

I guess I’m confused, the closest outlet mall is in Gainesville? Is an outlet mall different from a mall-mall? Just wondering because Penn Square and Quail both have Nike and Banana Republic so why not just shop at one of those and then take the money that this state is squandering on frivolous things like “outlet malls, central parks, new parking meters, etc.” and put it in Oklahoma’s Medicaid program… since ya know, they’re gonna have to extend it further soon and it’s dry enough as it is… I don’t understand this state sometimes…

July 7, 2010 at 11:08 am
(3) justanopinion says:

I’m very excited about this. It will bring in a lot of new jobs, both with construction and then with retail after it opens. Outlet shops are the best, especially at Christmastime.

To Marie: An outlet mall IS different than a regular mall. The stores only provide discounted items. Can’t wait for Central Park to open either. OKC needs to and is making a big effort to promote healthy living, as opposed to promoting Medicaid programs and the next fried food buffet. There’s a reason OKC regularly ranks #1 or #2 in the nation for the fattest people . . . which also directly relates to the high number of people receiving disability.

As for the Medicaid budget, I have a life-long disability that I could easily push through the system and receive benefits, but I choose to drag myself up every day and work for my living. It builds character, confidence, and self esteem. I know there are individuals that absolutely need benefits. It just shouldn’t be the “go to” answer for people who could actually still work but choose to give in to their aches and pains.

July 7, 2010 at 11:35 am
(4) Dave says:

With all of the existing empty malls around, why waste money on new construction? Crossroads Mall and Heritage Park Mall sit empty and waiting for new life. Also, why put it on the outskirts of town? Centrally locate it to make it easier for all citizens to frequent it.

July 7, 2010 at 1:02 pm
(5) Kevin says:

I think outskirts of town is relative to where you live. Heritage Park or Crossroads is a lot further drive than this new location would be to me. Isn’t HP in a suburbian town? How is that not on the outskirts?

I would never visit that mall if it was put in the old Crossroads Mall – bad part of town with too much crime.

Heck, Quail Springs was on the outskirts of town at one point not too long ago.

Give it some time to develop.

July 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(6) Dave says:

Geez…don’t get all defensive. I wasn’t being hateful to the “outskirts”. HP is closer to the city’s center than Council Road. It’s not relative. It’s black and white. The city starts in the middle and branches out. Simple concept. If the city’s center was on Council Road, then HP would be on the outskirts.
If Crossroads was revitalized, it wouldn’t be such a shabby place. Bricktown used to be shabby and now it’s rather nice. The same for Deep Duece. The same for the Plaza District…etc.

July 12, 2010 at 10:06 am
(7) Ronna A. says:

We had an outlet mall in the past. The Tanger outlet mall just east of OKC in Stroud was destroyed in the May 3 tornado and I guess just never rebuilt.

October 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm
(8) Ang says:

A mall on west side of city has been needed for years! They always place the mall on the outskirts of town it’s just been a while because okc has grown so much! Remember Quail Springs when it was built? ;) Outlet prices in my opinion are not any cheaper.

November 25, 2010 at 11:23 am
(9) Khloe says:

I think it is about time that OKC gets an outlet mall!! And the outlet mall in gainesville is not even an outlet mall anymore, they only have 3 stores. The closest outlet mall is in Allen, Tx, which I always go there at least once every two months, its huge and theres lots of stores! Having an outlet mall in OKC will be awesome. I also think that where they are building it is a good location. I can’t wait until its finished!

January 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm
(10) chad says:

it will be good for us to have a outlet,the one I go to is in San Marcos Texas and prices are real good.good stuff and i dont want to go to some run down old mall Im glad there building new,just an opinion.

February 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(11) Fiera says:

How do you apply for a job at some of the stores?

February 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(12) Brittney says:

I am OK born and raised, but moved to Houston for college. During my sophomore year we opened an outlet mall on the far NW side of Houston and it does amazing business. There are over 145 stores, most with teams of at least 10+ people, you do the math on job opportunities. While the state of Oklahoma might have a Kohls or Jcpennys that sales carters/oshkosh clothing for children(which are both owned by carters), I was amazed when I had my son that the whole state did not have their retail stores. Outlet malls can be VERY different from regular malls. There are many companys that carry different promotions for outlet stores, and sometimes even different or more discounted product. Even having my degree, I have made a wonderful career in the retail management and am excited that I could get the chance to move back home and still work for my company. With the correct advertisement and marketing, the entire area can experience revenue from this attraction

March 3, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(13) Jeanne says:

Duh… because we like ‘capitalism’ rather than ‘socialism.’ This is in reply to Marie.

April 18, 2011 at 11:40 am
(14) misty says:

howdo you apply for jobs

May 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm
(15) mimi says:

Crossroads and Heritage park mall are not BOTH CLOSED, get your facts together before you speak! Crossroads has been for sale, someone from Texas put a down payment on it last week and this group buysd malls to SAVE THEM. I work ast Crossroads Mall and Our store is doing SUPER, it only looks bad because all the anchor store are gone………………… Heritage Park Mall, Sears is still there because they OWN their store it is not part of the Mall…. n Dillards is also returning to Crossroads only the CLEARANCE STORE…………………………. the outlet mall is DIFFERENT then a regular retial MAll, so for the Person who seems to be so WITTY, get your facts straight before you start typing things you know nothing about

July 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm
(16) Anon. says:

@ mimi

Wow! So very defensive. A mall is usually a place that has multiple retail stores. Heritage park cannot be considered a mall by the very definition alone. It’s funny how you preach about getting your facts together. What exactly does Crossroads have to offer?
Hopefully this outlet center will have some new things to offer. I will be curious about the pricing as I have found that most outlet malls to be pretty close to retail. A boost in jobs will be nice.

July 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(17) dean says:

how to go about applying for a job at one of the store prior to opening day?

July 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(18) dean says:

how to go about applying for a job at one of the store prior to opening day?