No doubt searching for some continuity at the top of the district, Oklahoma City Public Schools introduced Karl Springer as the new Superintendent this week. His contract? Just one year. Wait, come again? A former teacher, Springer comes over from Mustang Public Schools insisting on the short term deal, and it's not because he doesn't want to stay a while. "This superintendent has no sense of entitlement," he said, emphasizing that he wants to be treated and judged just like a teacher.
Here are a few quick facts on the 59 year old superintendent:
- Superintendent for Mustang Public Schools in 1999-2000 and 2007-2008
- In Oklahoma schools since 1977, including teaching junior high, high school and special education
- Married since 1972 with two grown children and five grandchildren
- Holds bachelor's degree from California State University and master's from Northeastern in Tahlequah
- Contract includes salary of $165,000
- Supported in vote by 6 of 7 school board members