1. Local

Here's another article in my continued effort to build the library of helpful resources on About OKC. How much do you know about the food stamp program in Oklahoma, its mission and its requirements? The fact is that there are people in genuine need of assistance for nutritional food items, and that's exactly the purpose of food stamps. Here are 10 Things You Need to Know about applying for food stamps in Oklahoma.

Also, share your story and comments regarding the Oklahoma food stamp program.

Comments

March 10, 2009 at 12:38 pm
(1) Nance says:

Very helpful.

March 24, 2009 at 10:55 pm
(2) Mary says:

One thing about the foodstamp program is that they do NOT go by the net income, they always go by gross income.

July 1, 2009 at 11:43 am
(3) Sue says:

I think the program sucks. You see young healthy people able to get jobs on the program. Yes I understand there maybe a reason but I do know some of them lie to get them. We are retired and disable wish I can get a job but no one hire me I have try. Husband on cancer treatment and other medical problems. What really get me born and raised here and can’t get help just for awhile. Hate to say it I feel like we are being discriminate against because of who we are.

September 18, 2009 at 3:04 pm
(4) amber says:

well, i don’t think the program sucks, if you want this bad enough you you can get it. and not all of us are lying to the food stamps people to get them, and guess what everybody has problems, you think everyone else with cancer is whining about the food stamps program, no i dont think so. everyone has problems so get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and stop feeling sorry for yuorsel

October 21, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(5) Jeff says:

I think the program sucks too!!! I make too much on unemployment to qualify??? The lady I spoke with at the ElReno, OK office even laughed at me. It’s unfortunate that when someone has a need, they are made to feel humiliated (for the record, I have never requested assistance from the government). Maybe this person thought I was asking her for money instead of assistance from the government, which by the way I might add, that my tax dollars pay her salary and this program. Sorry, but these people should be be in our place. Then they would know what it’s like.

March 31, 2010 at 11:22 am
(6) Michelle says:

I have 3 kids am unemployed and lost my house and both of my cars. I was turned down because my husband made $106 to much a month!!! Try to find a rent house for under $850 thats not in the slums, they dont go by net but by gross income which is wrong. Is $106 enough to feed a family of 5 for a month? My rent takes almost half of my monthly income than there are utilities, gas, insurance both car and health and none of this is taken into account. I believe they should subtract all bills from your NET and see if what is left over is enough to feed your family for a month.

June 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(7) Addison says:

For Jeff’s previous comment, you said “which by the way I might add, that my tax dollars pay her salary and this program.” Are you that ignorant? You said you were on un-employment what tax dollars are you paying in for her salary? I find it very humorous that people on welfare try to say things like “my tax dollars pay for your salary!” Oh really? Well maybe if you were a productive citizen earning an income besides from the government then yes, you would be paying her salary.

June 24, 2010 at 1:17 am
(8) BOB says:

I would like to say that Jeffs, and my tax dollars did help pay her income when we had jobs . Plus i would like to state that you still have to pay taxes on unemployment . Plus i have paid taxes all my life in case i lose my job so i could get unemployment . I am looking for a job right now and it is hard to find a job to support a family of four. Have you looked for a job lately Addison? Mabey you should try supporting a family of four. Its not like i ask to lose my job of 7 years and become a unproductive citizen. Foodstamps could really help my family right now but i make 75.00 dollars to much. So who is the ignorant one now. I have had a job since i was 16 years old so i have help pay that workers salary 14 years now. How long have you helped pay her salary? The economy sucks and we shouldnt be blameing each other we should be blaming the banks and the goverment for pushing us deeper in debt. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment and she laughed at you when you were trying to get food stamps to feed your family how would you feel?

April 5, 2011 at 1:38 am
(9) Erica says:

My husband is a police officer and I am a 911 dispatcher. We are a family of 6 and we make to much for food stamps. Our yearly income combined is only 30,000. The point is people who have both adults in the house working and trying to be productive citizens are just getting sh*t on. In the mean time people are lying to get on them so they can sit on thier a$$es at home and deal/do drugs. One way to help people who are trying to be productive but still need help is for them to start doing drug testing every month before you can recieve your benifits. There is so many people who would be kicked off the program and the people who barely make to much to get them will be able to. With all of the people who are getting kicked off they will be able to afford the drug testing also.

Addison and Amber, obviously you two have either never had to ask for assistance (which is very difficult to do for some people) or you two are the ones who are lying, doing, or dealing drugs to get on food stamps. Have a little compassion for people.

Jeff, I’m sorry she laughed at you, that was completely unproffessional. Bob, also sorry you lost your job, times are very tough and good luck on finding another position.